Rocking Blue Hair: A Guide On How To Get Blue Hair Color
by Saumya Rawat on Jun 26, 2023
Say bye-bye to Monday blues and hello to your very own blue-hair era! We've all had that moment where we've fantasized about painting our hair blue, and for whatever reason bailed on it for later. But that itch to dye your hair blue always remained. We know the feeling, bestie! But no bailing out anymore! Dive into the magical world of blue hair dyes, sharing tips and tricks on how to get blue hair color to help you achieve that stunning, head-turning look you've always wanted. So, grab your brushes, and let's get started!
How To Get Blue Hair Color?
1. DIY or Professional Application
Decide whether you want to dye your hair at home or seek professional assistance. If you have experience with hair coloring and feel confident, a DIY blue hair coloring approach can be a fun and cost-effective option. However, if you're uncertain or want a more precise and professional result, it's advisable to visit a salon and consult with an experienced colorist.
- To pre-lighten your hair for blue hair color, mix blonder with the developer in a 1:2 ratio.
- Put on gloves and apply the mixture evenly from ends to roots, timing the process based on your hair's current color and desired lightness.
- Wait for 45-60 minutes. After the 30-minute mark, keep checking how much your hair has processed.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool water and wash with a toning shampoo.
Note: Hair Base Needed: Level 9+
3. Applying The Blue Hair Dye
- Start with dry hair to allow the dye to deposit better. Divide your hair into manageable sections using hair clips.
- Put on gloves to protect your hands and begin applying the dye from the roots to the tips, ensuring even coverage. Use a brush or your fingers to distribute the color.
- Once you've covered all sections, gently massage the dye into your hair to ensure it penetrates evenly. Avoid rubbing too vigorously, as this can cause damage.
- Wait for 30-60 minutes and let the semi-permanent hair color deposit.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with cool water until the water runs clear. Avoid using hot water, as it can cause the color to fade faster.
Maintaining Your Blue Hair Color
Here are a few tips to keep your blue hair vibrant and long-lasting:
- Use sulfate-free and color-safe shampoo and conditioner formulated for colored hair. This will help minimise color fading.
- Wash your hair in cool water to prevent color bleeding and preserve the vibrancy of the dye.
- Minimize heat styling tools, as excessive heat can cause the color to fade more quickly. If you do use heat, apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.
- Protect your hair from UV rays by wearing a hat or using hair products with built-in UV protection.
- Consider touching up your color every few weeks or as needed to maintain the vibrancy and avoid any visible regrowth.
Also Read: Hair Care Routine For Colored Hair
How Long Does Blue Hair Dye Last?
The longevity of blue hair dye varies depending on several factors, including the shade, your hair's porosity, and your hair care routine. On average, blue hair dye can last between 4 to 8 weeks, but it may fade gradually over time. To prolong the color's vibrancy, follow the maintenance tips mentioned above and consider using color-depositing conditioners or touch-up kits between dyeing sessions.
Also Read: How to Refresh Faded Hair
By carefully selecting the right shade, properly preparing your hair, and following the application and maintenance tips, you'll achieve a perfect blue hair look that reflects your unique style. Embrace your individuality, and let your blue hair be a vibrant expression of who you are!